Monday, March 30, 2009

I am in the Amazon jungle!

Alrighty Daddy,
Well it takes forever to read and open emails on these computers, so I don´t have a lot of time, but thanks for all the information. I´d appreciate the occasional letter now just cause email is so difficult to use here.
And now, as to where ´here´is... welcome to the jungle. I´m in a place called Puerto Maldanado, a little town next to the river Madre de Dios. Middle of the Amazon Jungle for the central mission. Its ridiculously hot and humid, and the bugs here are bigger, stronger, and more of them than I´ve ever seen in my life before. 100 percent deet does nothing to hinder their attacks, but really its not that bad, I´m getting used to it. One thing that's really different here is that tons and tons of people have motorcycles. Its weird. And they aren´t really motorcycles, they´re more like the trials bikes that we had. Roughly, I would guess that there are 20 or 25 bikes to every one car. And along with the horrible quality of the bikes, they also fit up to 5 people on each one. That's not normal here, but 3 is a very common number to have on a single bike. Its definitely different out here.
I´ve already had my first three baptisms while you were wondering where I was. It was amazing, and at the same time, nerve racking to baptize in Spanish. I was especially nervous because each had 4 names so I was sure that I would forget and have to do the baptism three or four times, but it went fine and I didn´t mess up at all. I didn´t have a lot of time to get to know them, but they all seem to like me a lot, even though i can hardly speak to them or understand them. It really frustrating not to be able to understand or speak. I´m going to have to learn patience with myself. But at least I can kinda talk with my comp, and i can read Spanish alright, so that is good.
And about my companion, his name is Elder Guevara, and he´s from a town up farther north in Peru, and he knows, as far as I can tell, no English. That is fine with me though, I think it will help me learn Spanish quicker. However, he knows the doctrine well enough to teach without me being able to help. He´s had a year in the mission, so I´m trying to learn as much as I can from him. Sorry I didn´t have more time, love you all.