Sunday, February 1, 2009

First e-mail home

Alright, so I made it to my first p-day and everything is going fine so far. Things started to get less hectic once we hit Saturday because thats when gym time starts. Its amazing what an hour of basketball can do for relaxation. Its too bad I'm here in winter though, cause otherwise I would have been able to practice soccer and play some ultimate frisbee.
Anyways, onto the more important stuff, the fireside we had yesterday was amazing. Me and my companion (Elder Griffith) got to the gym nearly twenty minutes early and we still couldn't find any seats, so we had to split up on the end of the isles. Stephen B. Allen spoke about how horrible Utah drivers are, and a few other things like the challenges and adversities that a missionary goes through. A lot of what he said I thought was specifically directed at my district. We're getting closer now that we've gotten past the three day threshold and we're helping eachother out a lot more. Dallin was right about the schedule being ridiculous, but I enjoy it in some ways. Our teacher's are amazing. Hermana Scaife is really weird, but she's a great teacher. Without her saying anything we all know how much she cares, and when she does say it the spirit is just overwhelming. Hermano Shulca is a native from Ecuador, so he helps out a lot too. He doesn't have the feminine touch that Hna Scaife does, but I like listening to his accent, and I think its pretty cool that he played pro soccer in Ecuador when he was fourteen. Hermano Cole teaches us for a few hours on Wednesdays, kind of a sub for Hna Scaife, and he went to Peru on his mission, so come this Wednesday I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions for him.
I'm already excited to leave this place. Its not that the MTC is all that bad, although it kinda is, but I want to go down to Peru and start really learning and talking with people. I know I'm not ready for that yet and thats what I'm trying to prepare for now, but I can't help wanting to be in Peru. I already know how to pray and bare my testimony in Spanish, and I'm starting to understand my teachers more when they try to talk to our class in the language. Its not a lot, but I think its more than I learned in two years of high school.
Oh, and I just got back from the temple. I've almost got everything down, so thats nice, but I like the Las Vegas temple a lot more than the Provo temple. I did my first sealing session (it took forever), but it was really.... ummm... awe inspiring to hear the marriage ceremony.
Anyway, I'm almost out of time so I want to send this out before the browser closes on me. I love you both and want you to know that even though this experience is completely overwhelming right now, its worth it. Thank you so much for teaching me the gospel and teaching me to accept what the Lord wants from me.
Your Son,
Elder Huntington